Monday, October 15, 2012

what's new?

Well, I trained one day last week, on Monday, and it was AWESOME being back!  The warmup didn't kill me as I'd feared, though 15 burpees did suck so I know I have lost some fitness.  I really enjoyed the positional sparring, and I noticed that some old habitual behaviors have slipped away... for instance, we were told to start in closed guard and only try for submission-- no sweeps.  I learned initially from a leftie, so I always start with my left hand in the collar (even though I am a rightie.)  But this time, for whatever reason, I threw my right hand into the collar.  I don't mean to say that was the Golden Egg of Success or anything, but I did think it interesting that I have apparently forgotten? lost? some muscle memory.  In any case it was fun to be back.

And then on Tuesday, I had a consultation with a new doctor, because I needed another laparoscopy to remove endometriosis... and fortunately for me, he had an opening in his surgery schedule for the very next day.  So that was that for training-- I recover quickly from laps, but I know better than to push it.  Boo.  I'll be watching class tonight and hopefully back on the mats later this week-- as soon as the incisions are fully healed.  Nothing worse than popping out some intestines or whatever on the mat.... ew!

I got to meet and hang out with Chris O'Dell, president of Datsusara MMA, and his lovely better half Maria this weekend... they were in town from California and we had lunch and caught the UFC together.  I am just about done with my review of the 2.0 version of their hemp gi... and was shocked to learn that Chris is mainly a nogi guy!  Haha :)

I missed Metamoris this weekend.  I wanted to get it, of course... but we found out my husband's company might be doing a 30% layoff in the next week or two.  Yikes.  So, I cancelled our lovely Farmhouse Delivery of local, organic produce... and no Metamoris..  I will say, the Farmhouse delivery was a nice idea and we really loved about 3/4 of each delivery.  The food was always very fresh and the service very easy to use.  However, there was enough unappealing stuff that the cost margin became a little iffy in my opinion.  I don't mind trying new stuff if I end up liking it-- but I wasn't crazy about getting a bag of green persimmons (they're still not ripe)... didn't care for the butternut squash... and this week, the collard greens were yellow overnight (too bad because I love me some greens.)  Also I've never had French sorrel before-- it's a lemony-ish soft green leaf thing that is supposedly good for salad.  I tried a bite and wasn't thrilled, but I need to eat it and not waste it, so I'll be tossing it around with baby spinach and a strong dressing.  On the plus side, we have FOUR ears of corn for dinner tonight.  Yum.  Plus local Gala apples, new potatoes, radishes, spring onions... it's high cotton for salads in my household :)

Here's a recipe they posted, for Grilled Chicken and Sorrel Salad with Creamy Dressing...

For dressing
  • 1/4 cup whole-milk yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
For salad
  • 1/2 bunch sorrel, coarse stems discarded and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
  • 2 chicken breasts, grilled and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 pound hearts of romaine, torn into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
  • 1/4 pound frisée, trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons loosely packed fresh tarragon, leaves coarsely chopped if large
Make dressing:
Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
Make salad:
Toss together all salad ingredients with dressing in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

And here's their recipe for Sorrel Vichyssoise-- too bad I just made a pot of Potato-Leek soup last week or I would have tried this...

1 cup finely chopped white and pale green part of leek, washed well
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound boiling potatoes
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 pound fresh sorrel, stems discarded and the leaves rinsed, spun  dry, and shredded coarse (about 8 cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup snipped fresh chives, or to taste, plus, if desired, additional for  garnish

In a large saucepan cook the leek and the onion with salt and pepper to taste in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, add the potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, the broth, and the water, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Stir in the sorrel and simmer the mixture for 1 minute. Purée the mixture in a blender in batches, transferring it as it is puréed to a bowl, and let it cool. Stir in the cream, the chives, and salt and pepper to taste, chill the soup, covered, for at least 4 hours or overnight, and serve it sprinkled with the additional chives.  Also good warm.

Anyway, we are of course totally freaking out about the layoff.  It couldn't come at a worse time-- our doctor in NY wants me to come for the next egg retrieval shortly after Thanksgiving to take advantage of the laparoscopy, and that's a LOT of money to throw out of the bank when you're looking at mortgages and so on with just my state-employee salary.  *sigh*  If you aren't sick of praying for me yet, toss another one our way please.

Lastly, big congrats to my team for astounding successes and LOTS of bling this weekend at a local tournament... I didn't go, but I see lots of sore necks from holding up medals in the photos.  :)

1 comment:

SavageKitsune said...

Good luck; I might be on the hatchet list as well- your hubby and I can keep each other company in the unemployment line. :P